Do you ever wake up tired? Do you feel rested, refreshed, renewed? Or do you always feel the crushing burden of the tyranny of the urgent? Are the “to-do’s” terrors that keep you up at night?
We are a busy people. Between work, school, sports, church, and family activities, there doesn’t even seem to be time to breathe.
The idea of Sabbath rest is nearly lost on us today. I’ve seen how more and more activities are crowding into our day of rest, pulling us away from the quiet and peace of God’s Sabbath rest in Jesus Christ, back into the frenzied fury of the world’s demands. There’s always more to do, more to be, more to accomplish, never any time to simply rest and delight in God.
I recently came across this old (3 years) video of Kevin DeYoung preaching on the Sabbath. This is just an excerpt from his sermon, but he raises some great evaluative questions we should consider for our own lives. I encourage you to watch the video, it’s only 3 minutes long. I’ve written out the questions below.
- Am I using Saturday to prepare for Sunday?
- Am I using Sunday to get ahead or get a break?
- Is there anything about Monday that feels like you rested on Sunday?
- Can others see that this Lord’s Day is a day with unique priorities and special blessings for you and your family?
- Do you trust God enough to rest? (This one hit be right between the eyes)
Know the grace and peace of the Lord Jesus Christ – and find your rest in Him!
Thanks great bblog