Today is my birthday, and in honor of this very special day, I thought I would share some other memorable things that happened in 1973. I don’t remember most of these, as I was still pretty young. If you can add to the list, please feel free to comment below.
- George Steinbrenner buys the New York Yankees
- Super Bowl VII – Dolphins beat the Redskins to complete a perfect season.
- Nixon is inaugurated for his 2nd term.
- Roe V. Wade – the Supreme Court overturns state laws on abortion.
- George Foreman beats Joe Frazier
- Paris Peace Accords are signed, ending U.S. Vietnam involvement.
- The American Indian Movement occupies Wounded Knee for a 71 day siege.
- The Heritage Foundation is established.
- Pink Floyd releases The Dark Side of the Moon
- Watergate scandal erupts
- The last U.S. soldier leaves Vietnam
- First cellular phone call is made
- The World Trade Center opens in New York
- Fed Ex begins operations
- Sears Tower in Chicago is completed
- The Ethernet is created, linking computers on an internal network
- The ATM is patented
- Secretariat wins the Triple Crown
- Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhniv addresses the American people
- American Graffiti is released
- U.S. Bombing of Cambodia ends
- Billie Jean King defeats Bobby Riggs in The Battle of the Sexes
- Henry Kissinger starts term as Secretary of State
- Spiro Agnew Resigns
- Egypt and Israel sign a cease-fire accord
- Gerald Ford is sworn in as Vice President
- O.J. Simpson rushes for 2,000 yards in season.
- Schoolhouse Rock airs on ABC
- Average Cost of new house $32,500.00
- Average Income per year $12,900.00
- Average Monthly Rent $175.00
- Cost of a gallon of Gas 40 cents
- A Dozen Eggs 45 cents